Friday, September 2, 2011

Pulling Your Own Strings by Dr. Wayne Dyer




Today, I learned how to make a signature for my blog. As I said before in my earlier post, I am going to learn blogging techniques step-by-step. I am from the old school of email being the rave back in the 1990's. Wow that sounds weird saying 1990. Anyway, I just wanted to share my good news about my signature. Also, I will start out my post by saying that I am not a fancy writer, so please bear with how I organize my thoughts and my writing technique. I have a voice and I want to spread it to the world. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to write.

Pulling Your Own Strings by Dr. Wayne Dyer was the next book that I purchased in 2003. I can't remember exactly how I learned about Dr. Dyer, but I am glad that I became aware of him. I was taking dance classes at the time when I was going through this journey of healing. 2003 was the beginning of Todd(that's me) melting the emotional mess that I was carrying around me.  I always wanted to  entertainment. But, I went to college and received a degree in Finance. I truly went to school to please my parents and partly to know how to manage my finances, once I hit it big in the entertainment field. It's funny how life holds a whole different plan than the plan that you expected. Anyway, I was never truly happy while I was in school, because I wanted to sing or dance. But, I managed to muffle through school and receive my degree in Finance. I think that it was a huge accomplishment and I am happy that I went to school. Knowledge is powerful.

So, I was reading Pulling Your Own Strings by Dr. Dyer and I came across p. 38 "Courage means flying in the face of criticism, relying on yourself, being willing to accept and learn from the consequences of all your choices. It means believing enough in yourself and in living your life as you choose, so that you cut the strings whose ends other people hold and use to pull you in contrary directions." Wow, I had a light turn on in me that said, 'Todd, you don't have to be afraid to go after your dreams.'  You see, I've always been shy and quiet due to my upbringing. I was never the kid who was rambunctious or wild. I always did as I was told. I didn't have any other choice in the matter. Dance was a passion of my mine. I didn't feel accepted by my dance peers, because I am 6'2 and I always felt out of place in class. I was so tired of feeling bad when I went to class. I knew in my heart that I was good, because I was told that and I truly could see that I was good. But, I would still shy away and not perform to my fullest. I was too concerned of what other people thought of me at the time. I never felt a part of the group of dancers.

Nevertheless, after reading that quote by Dr. Dyer. I had a new found friend in myself that started to stick his head out of the "shy" shell that was keeping himself hid. Courage is something that was definitely lacking in my life. Self Confidence was also lacking, so that was the underlying factor of me not having courage. I wasn't ready to accept criticism in my life. I've always been a people pleaser and I didn't like rejection, so how could I accept criticism at the time?  I didn't believe in myself and that was a reason why I didn't accept myself as a dancer. I told myself that I have to work on cutting the strings of people controlling me, which I let determine my outcome. I think that when we are ready to walk a new path in our life it will present itself to us at the right time.



Life is definitely a journey. The revelation that I received from Pulling Your Own Strings by Dr.Dyer opened a door and helped push me in the right direction of healing. I will discuss the other books that I read by Dr. Dyer that helped me on my healing journey later. You can also check out the Self Help books that I've read over the years at my website. I hope that someone received something out of this post. Until next time, I hope that all of you have a blessed day. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment